Heartbeat


Thursday, September 4, 2008

Track Three

"It is not a human right, to stare not fight while broken nations dream
Open up your eyes, so blind, that we might find the mercy for the need."

Welcome to the window. I want to cover two things tonight, and I'm going to try to do them at the same time, so if it seems all over the place, bear with me.
I'm sitting here in my chair, listening to one of my favourite songs, called "Solution", and yes, it's by a christian band called Hillsongs United. Now, for the very few of you who actually read my blog, please don't be stupid and flick off the receptive part of your brain as soon as you hear the word "christian". This song isn't a hymn, there's no organ, no heavenly choir and no big black preacher throwing in the occasional "God bless you, my brothers!". Back to the song though. The opening quote I've thrown in above are the opening lines of the song. If I hadn't mentioned before that it was a christian song, most of you would've been thinking: "Hey, that's very very true! Wow, that's a really deep thought!" Well, it is a deep thought, from the mind of a christian who is the same as you in every single way, only he has found God. By now, you're wondering what the hell I'm ranting about, so it's here that I'll identify the two issues I want to talk about. The first has to do with the quote. Yes, it's one hundred percent true. We turn a blind eye everyday to peoples' needs, wants and dreams. You don't even need to look as far as Africa or India. Hell, before you even try to think about them, think about those around you, your peers, friends, classmates. If you can see an opportunity to change something for the better, do it. Don't be the person who lets it slide because it'll be funny, or your friends suggest you should. Make a stand for Christ's sake, it's easy to conform, it's much harder to be different, to be unique, to be nice in a bad situation.
My second contention is to do with christianity. First off, I am a christian, I'll put my card on the table. Secondly, and be honest, how many of you thought from the start that the song above was a OneRepublic or Fray song, or some band like that? Come on, be honest. Well, how different is it to a song from the before mentioned bands? Christian music isn't only what you would sing in the chapel at school or assembly hall. I have friends who, upon the mention alone of a christian song or hearing anything remotely like it, will laugh, sigh, cover their ears, walk away, mumble: "This is some christian bullshit" or all of it. "Brainwashing" one bright spark called it. Well, if that's brainwashing, we're in some serious trouble. I challenge those of you who read my blog. Respond to this post, and ask me for the song. I'll email it to you, and you listen to it for yourselves. This isn't my ploy to get you all to join the "dark side" because we have cookies too, but to tell you all to lighten up a little, don't be so prejudiced. Remember, smile more =]

Peace out people.