Heartbeat


Monday, September 8, 2008

Track Six

It's the last week of school for the term, I'm happy. Welcome to the Window.

I missed out blogging yesterday, due to a particularly difficult chinese sac today, so I sincerely apologize to my readers, all three of you, if there are even that many. I realised a little too late, Saturday night, that I should have prepared a little more than I had, but it's over and done with, if I can scrape a fifteen out of twenty I'll be satisfied. More than satisfied, I'll be ecstatic.
I wanted to talk about legacy today. One small factor that made me think about this was the ANZAC Legacy foundation, selling those little pins for charity etc. What is a legacy? Why would anyone want to have one? What use does it even have for you?
Anyone ever heard the song by Linkin Park: "Leave Out All The Rest"? Well, there's one part in it, the chorus, that really gets my mind going.

"When my time comes
Forget the wrong that I've done
Help me leave behind some
Reason to be missed
Don't resent me
When you're feeling empty
Keep me in your memory
Leave out all the rest
Leave out all the rest"

Even though this definition is what you'd find in the dictionary, it's all the legacy that anyone would ever want: Leave behind some reason to be missed. When someone in your life passes away, for just how long do you remember them? They don't even need to pass on, they could move away, or something could happen between the two of you that would cause communication to break down. How much would you miss them? The gap that some of these people leave in your life is sometimes irreparable, and yet in some cases, you get over it in a flash.
Let's look at it from another perspective. What if you were the one to pass on, or to leave someone's life? You'd want to be remembered for all that you've done, the good and the bad. We whine in our day to day lives about how someone forgets us so suddenly, or we're not thought of enough, but in reality, aren't there people who are thinking exactly the same way regarding us?

I would go on, but this is becoming incomprehensable for the most part, so I think I'll stop here for legacy.

Right now, my mind isn't really focussing on what it should be. I'll quit while I'm ahead, save some face =]

Take it easy everyone.