Heartbeat


Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Chapter Two

First impression isn't really the best way to describe what I received from her. First indentation is more like it. She ran around the corner into me so fast that she left her elbow mark in my chin. As I helped her pick up her books, which were scattered far and wide from our collision, she kept apologising profusely.

"I'm so sorry, I really am, it's just that I have to get to maths right now, and I've been late every single class! Sorry sorry sorry!"

Then, before I knew it, she was gone again, running down the corridor at ten to the dozen. It all happened within the space of ten seconds, and all I remembered was a whirl of amber coloured hair and a pair of large hazel eyes. Nothing really to grab my attention, after all going to a co-ed school has it's fair share of girls and a pair of pretty eyes isn't uncommon.

"Kason! Hurry up man, or else you'll be late to class!" My best friend Troy walked up to me and nudged me with his elbow. "So, you going to tell me who she was? Eh? Eh?"
"Yeah, I'll tell you when I find out for myself," I said with a chuckle, "We didn't exactly talk much, as you might've seen."
"Looked good enough time for me, in that short space of time I would've gotten her number just like that!" he said, snapping his fingers to accentuate his point. All I did was laugh along with him as we walked to our first period of the day, maths. I hate maths, plain and simple. As we stepped into our classroom I was already dreading the lesson to come. Anyone up for a nice big helping of trigonometry? No? Didn't really think so.
As usual, Troy and I took the seats to the far left, next to the window which overlooked the school car park. A few times, when the teacher had left temporarily, we would grab all our books, climb out the window and skip the rest of the school day. This became a regular little habit until we got caught. Big time. By our parents.
"Trigonometry!" began Mr Lester, "This is a perilous journey, not for the faint of heart! I trust you are all well equipped, with your pencils of power! Your erasers of elegance! And finally, your -"
"- Minds of magic." the whole class monotonously recited. As you can see, we're a happy bunch in Mr Lester's excel maths class. He began writing on the board, with a few students scribbling madly on their pads to take down every single note. Most of the others, like Troy, read and tried to decipher his scrawl, while one student, a.k.a yours truly began to draw in his maths book. Which, for your reference, didn't have a single maths note in it, but a whole heap of little sketches and the likes. Maths notes were crumpled loose leaf sheets of paper genius given to me by my tutor, a brilliant uni student who came up with foolproof ways of learning maths.
I started to draw, except this time, I began drawing a face. That was odd, I only drew cars and weird random monsters, but this morning seemed different. The face began to take shape, a graceful jawline, small rounded ears and long flowing hair. Then came the features. A set of heart shaped lips, elegant nose, and finally, the large, innocent eyes. As I finished the final details of shading, it occurred to me what I had just drawn. It was a portrait of the girl who had bumped into me before class. This was sufficient evidence to scare me, the thought "Am I a stalker or something?" running through my mind. Tearing out the page, I scrunched it up and threw it into my bag, deciding to pretend it hadn't happened.
Little did I know that the picture I had drawn held the key to the doors of my destiny in the coming year.