Heartbeat


Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Chapter One

When we sat on this quiet hill, I promised you everything that came into my mind. Love, hope, a family, safety, wealth, I weaved every word till it looked like a fabric so tangible. We were young, oh so young weren't we? When you cried, it shattered my every thought, spurred my protectiveness of you, ready to fight anyone and everyone you wanted me to. You were everything to me weren't you? Do you remember the time, when we came up here on that hot summer day after school, and simply sat, held hands and watched the sunset? It was the fifth day after you found out the news. The damn news that made you cry so much, and shocked me speechless. I guess it was bound to happen at some point in time though. I missed you then, and I miss you now. Someday though, someday this hill won't be so quiet and lonely. It will be ours again, and we can watch the sunset... just one more time.

The young man took a final, fleeting glance at the setting sun. A shadow of desperation leaped into his eyes, pleading for something only he knew was missing. With a jagged sigh, he placed his hands in his pockets and slowly made his way down the gentle grassy slope, every step as painful as the next. As he walked, memories began to flood his mind, as they did every time he visited this place. Memories from the past, swirled with darkness and laced with the illusion of hope.

It's a quiet hill. It is. It wasn't.