Heartbeat


Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Chapter Six

"How was I wrobu-bu-buh..."
Yes, that's exactly what dribbled out of my mouth when I saw her. Standing there, eyes looking deeply into mine. I actually felt my heart hiccup. She came and lay down next to me, less than half a metre away. My eyes widened with excitement, as it struck me that this girl was actually so close. Okay, it's not that I don't have any girl friends, but let's be honest, they all paled in comparison to this girl, this purely angelic being. Then again, she could be as thick as two short planks, which would just ruin the entire magic of the moment. I decided to find out.
...Once my heart dislodged itself from my throat, having managed to jump all the way up there with the damn hiccup.
"S-s-so it's really that beautiful?" Oh dear, another episode of Casanova lines. She didn't reply immediately, and I turned my head to look at her. Eyes staring straight into the sunset, I could tell she was mesmerised. "Um-"
"Shh!" She cut me off hastily. "I want to see the sun go down, and don't want to miss a second! It's incredible!" The thrill of happiness was ringing in her voice, and that's when she grasped my hand with excitement. I can tell you right now, in all honesty that I almost shook her off with the shock. One minute my hand was lying beside me, fidgeting with my tshirt, the next it was being strangled in the girl's vice-like grip. I probably couldn't have shaken her off anyway, too strong for me.

We stayed like that till the sun disappeared, and darkness flooded the valley. The hill suddenly went from being a golden monument, to a quiet lump in the night.
"Could I get my hand back please?" It took me a little while to realise that the girl was asking me. Wait. What?! She asking me? "I'm pretty sure I should be asking you that, after you grabbed mine so quickly." I said with a wink. Not like she could even see it. Great timing, once again.
"Oh very funny," she threw my hand back at me. We both sat up, sitting in the same position, legs drawn up close to our bodies with arms wrapped around them. Stars began to appear in the already dark sky, like diamond dust cast upon black velvet. This hill was a veritable jewellery shop, with gold by day and precious stones by night.
The silence between us didn't feel empty, and yet it was so loud, almost as if it were drowning out everything else. I tried to think of something to say, but the words wouldn't flow.
"I should probably be heading home." With that, she stood up and began to walk down the hill.
"Wait!" I called after her, and hurriedly scrambled to my feet. She stopped walking, and waited for me to stumble my way over to her. "What's your name by the way? I'm Kason, and I forgot to ask you yours yesterday." At first, she didn't reply but simply looked into my eyes. I waited for the response.
"My name?" She bit her lower lip, and gave a little smile.
"My name is..."